Sunday, April 5, 2009

Thou shalt not drink!

Next morning, I saw this written on our wing-board 'Pukesters suck'. Am not sure if pukester is a proper word but I had got the intent. I was a pukester the previous night. My jeans bore testimony to the fact :(

The night before:
Wing treat at Tian's pub - drink a lot (all bottoms up, and almost all neat) - some puffs of cigar - intentional head banging to the songs - unintentional head banging to the walls - keep falling to the ground - no dinner, no desserts - puke - puke - puke - 4th puke - go to SMS's flat - taken to SMS's flat - sleep - wake up next morning - feel uneasy, uncomfortable, guilty, ashamed, humiliated.

I had made a fool of myself on 1st April. I decided to renounce alcohol. Many would be surprised to know that I could drink as I have always been thought of as a prude. Some would even find this farcical considering I rarely drink and hence there is not an issue. Nevertheless, here is a flashback:

When it all started:
The motives can be discussed and debated - to loosen me up; to be more adaptable, more flexible; the inherent human tendency to chart into the forbidden waters and to explore the unknown; and of course peer pressure. I am almost certain that SMS played a huge role in upping my intake. I was competing but more importantly trying to be in the same group as his. I aped him in our race towards foolishness.

During our wing treats, there was always this division between the sober 5 and the high 5. But then we succumbed: first Gharde, then Manpreet and finally I. It’s good that Gangal and Simit are still holding strong. My first few sips were always from PB's vodka-sprite. And for the next few occasions, I was this curious newcomer who wanted to say: been there, done that. To ease my entry into this new club and yet remain aloof from its pitfalls, I made a certain number of rules:
  1. Alcohol should not be a means to celebrate happiness. You don't need alcohol to stay happy.
  2. Alcohol should not be a means to overcome your griefs. This is escapism but you can't escape life.
  3. I would always tell Papa whenever I drink.
And as time progressed, I found it real hard to keep up with the third one. Before I started drinking, I always asked myself - why should I not drink? What you do/achieve depends on what you seek. Now, I merely changed the question to why should I drink. I have been looking for reasons to continue drinking but can't find any.
Though getting a high might be a good enough reason for most; it does not work for me as I like to be in full control of my mind. Besides, I don't like the taste of alcohol. Neither is it healthy. Thus, I don't like it when I am drinking; what happens afterwards is certainly not pleasant; talking about it at home makes me feel guilty and it even sets a bad precedence for Sharad. Hence, it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to drink. I tried my best to like it and adopt it but (un)fortunately the match was not made.

It’s not that I would be out of sync with the whole world. Rather, I have chosen to be in sync with the likes of Amitabh Bachchan, Akshay Kumar, Muhammad Ali, David Beckham and of course Warren Buffett. These are just some of the names I knew beforehand. The wikipedia list of teetotalers springs many surprises (must be visited).

My tryst with alcohol is finally over. At last, I would be able to drink Death by Chocolate at NH1 :)

16 comments:

  1. hehe....told ya.....teetotalers rock.........
    neways.....hope u hv experienced what u wanted to experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. man o man, guilt will go away , you will start liking the taste also. Just start thinking of all the great men who used to enjoy their drinks. for starters Billy Joel, Winston Churchill, Janny's dad in forrest gump:P. and don't bother about telling it to your cause he is your dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Harshah,
    i bet u will fall to the temptation with ur infi infi inclination towards corporate culture but its no point discussing it now, but then, i will try to dissuade you like you tried for me :)

    @ Anon,
    guilt will go away implies the initial guilt,
    you will start liking the taste also implies that the taste is bad and you just become immune to it after some initial periods
    so, why develop a liking for sth, that your first thoughts, your mind, your conscience tries so hard to avoid

    also, not telling papa is not an option (its the 3rd rule :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The night before" - awesome :D a word-painting
    "in sync with the world" is so anithetical,
    n nuthin evr u do wud be out of sync the greats, frm incests to celibates, addicts to teetotalers - there hv being greats of all kinds
    but wht hppns to the jeans now? :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. far away frm practicality, u need nt share everything with dad, don't tell me u even discuss all da weird college life things with ur dad, dat wud b creepy

    to give u some credit, dramatization ws gud fr da night b4 part n da approach of asking da relevant question was very very thoughtful

    ReplyDelete
  6. bhai finally u got some senses...still i feel u can hav it occassionally as u hav been doin'...apparently even u knw excess of anythin' will cause disaster n so is d case...

    considering ur "bad precedence for sharad i.e., me"..bhai it has been 5 years m seeing u drinking but havn't sipped even a single sip...so dont u worry abt me...:)

    In a nutshell "KEEP DRINKING"...n ofcourse, u knw i really love when we talk at dat particular moment...

    to give u full credit, vocab is terrific, usage is awesome, narration is fantabulous....:)( i aped him....n (un)fortunately...loved it) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had similar experience.....but luckily i didnt puked on anyone......but the week after that was hell......u may remember that.......anyways..i believe in first two rules too....and had been doing third one too....but nowadays....i skip......but use of unnecessary hi fi words.....to show off.... :P

    But you should have remained like before only....only some sips.....SMS ruined you :P
    and i guess "the night before" is the censored version.....because i know you both.....:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Akash, thank u :), i handwashed the jeans to do away the puke, use more discretion abt the taboo words :P

    @ name suppressed, its like some things are unsaid and implied and u dont talk abt them and that is OK. drinking (acc to me) is not one of them. i dont think i have made myself enf clear but that is the best i can do. May be, we can talk one to one for a more thorough discussion (is u can unsuppress ur name)

    @ Sharad, kuchh bhi, 5 saaal kahan hue hain, aur infact heavily to maine life mein 2 baar hi kiya hai drink aur woh bhi pichhle 1 saal mein.
    anyway, thanku thanku, waise main jo bhi likhunga, tujhe achchha to lagega hi... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ PB, i too had started skipping, thats why the change, hi-fi words hamesha use hone waale hain, so, u have to adjust :)
    yes, i believe SMS ruined me :P , what you have in mind for the night before is acutally only possible for ur case...u know how i feel abt that, koi bhi bhala kahan compare kar sakta hai us se :P :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. yehi din dikhaane ke liye paal-pos ke badaa kiyaa thhaa! sharam aani chaahiye :P

    jab main wing mein thhaa tab to aisi koi vaardaat nahin hui.....shaayad teri parvarish mein mujhse koi bhool ho gayi....afsos! :P

    omesh

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. its apocalypse...and all us believers will take side of holy gods Bacchus and Dev (god) D

    and for all you atheists, drinking should be another freak experience (jst like bungee jumping or sky diving). And if you took a longer rope and fall on ur head you dont say bungee jumping is sin. so throwing up on ur jean doesnt make it vile. you gotta learn to control man.

    gyaan apart, the haste and madness in "the night before" hit the right chords...reminds me of the famous dope taking scenes from Requim for a Dream.
    the continuity and flow is once again perfect..and the only reason its not worth reading is because it propagates wrong msgs :P (c'mon, telling dad abt all stuff, i think everyone is with me on this on)

    ------------------------------------------
    "If good is on the left then I'm sticking to the right"

    ReplyDelete
  13. And since you have boozed, this might come handy:
    Every peg of wine decreases ur life by 5 min. Every sex trip increases ur life by 10 min.
    So moral of the story is: a f***ing drinker never dies

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Anubhav, one of the wittiest quotes ever :) and in your langauage, the only reason your comment is worth reading is because it is awesomely written ( never mind the message :D)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Chingi, Have not touched Alcohol since that day...though you never know, when I might enjoy it again :P

    ReplyDelete